Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please read this is a good one!!!

Please read this is a good one!!!

I am still cracking up as I write this post. I just got back from the main board and although I dont like the threads ever on that board as I am reading this caught my eye, the thread was called
    "FAST Tai Chi-- For Self Defence (a new concept)" and I just had to cut and past it for you guys to have a good laugh here it goes....

My friends and I have been tryng this for 5 months now.

and to me it seems a lot like Kung Fu but different in a way.
    And a lot more technical

The more I practice, The more I can move around my opponent without them even touching me.

I do mix this new technique with other Martial Arts.
    Like Kung Fu itself.

But the calm easy flowing spirit helps alot.

Like if someone attacks you and turning it into a Re-Action
    of easy breathing self defence.

DON'T get me wrong,I have years of Karate and Boxing.
    But I really believe this Fast Form of Tai Chi could be very leathal (If executed right)

We didn't run this idea by my Sifu yet.

But we practice it because She suggested it.

But she doesn't know our progress.

Next these guys will be posting that they have a new invention that all you have to do is pick up a handle shaped device, punch a few buttons and you can talk to your freind without even being at the same house.................
    Last edited by EARTH DRAGON; 02-12-2002 at 09:44 PM.
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

We've all got to start somewhere, man. Hopefully the kid's got a good Sifu that'll steer him correctly.

My first taste of "taiji" came at a Grateful Dead show. I was moved by the music and though, this must be what they mean in Taiji.

Sort of right, sort of wrong, but that was my intro.

I saw that post too and even responded. Yea, I'm still foolish enough to get dragged into that board at times, but I'm finding the quality here to be much higher -- not surprising.

Thumbs down Re: Please read this is a good one!!!

Originally posted by EARTH DRAGON
    I am still cracking up as I write this post. I just got back from the main board and although I dont like the threads ever on that board as I am reading this caught my eye, the thread was called
    "FAST Tai Chi-- For Self Defence (a new concept)" and I just had to cut and past it for you guys to have a good laugh here it goes....
    Real good attitude there SIFU
    Remind me to send my children to go study with you.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Thats why my teacher, when students first came to him asking for taiji, sent them out to do only 4 single moving exercises: part the wild horse's mane, brush knee and strike, heel kicks, and 45 degree kicks. All done slowly and up and down a field about 50 yards. The 45 degree kicks actually had you go down, sit in a twist stance and then rise kicking slowly. This usually cured them of their "sugar plum fairy dance in my head" feel for taiji. Proved that taiji was not that easy. This went on for the entire summer. Needless to say there were few taiji students and maybe thats the way my teacher wanted it, I don't know.

Most students quickly said, "Naw, I don't want to do this and then got thrown into basic praying mantis kicking, punching and two man moving exercises. (mainly 8 step praying mantis) along with 18 lohan exercises.

Then they got some jiben gong dao training. After that they were much more open to training in taiji.

Don't you think learning fast taiji early is putting the cart before the horse?

Water Dragon

Dear brother, I was reffering to the comment (new concept) Thats what I found amusing, it was worded that the idea that if you do Tai Chi Chuan fast you can use it for self defense was invented by these two guys.
    I was not laughing at the lack of knowledge or their beginner staus. So Please reform from placing judgment on others simply by your interpetation or their words. I think you have read most of my posts and realize that I am much deeper than that. At least I hope so.

OK, so maybe you weren't laughing at their lack of understanding/beginner status. How do you think the kids gonna feel if he come over on this board and reads the thread you started?

Earth Dragon

I am often inpsired by your posts. I think the little clarification you made is a good step. It is good to know you are not knocking their enthusiasm
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

Water dragon, they would probably realized that what they said amused me. everyone hears funny things and stories from time to time but sometimes I hear things that make me laugh. I didnt know their was any thing wrong with that. Have you not read somethings on this board that you found were amusing?

Constructive critisism is O.K, actually helpful and sometimes humbling but saying that I have a bad attitude for a shifu and you wouldnt bring your children to me seems a bit harsh wont you agree. I did'nt think that I dissapointed you that much..

Prana, thank you.

Earth Dragon.

What shocked me was when I read the Profile of "logic" I discovered that he has 2 yrs less in MA than me, but a bit more time in TCC.

Unless his Profile is not accurate, he also seems to be around my age.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. But I always hold a teacher to a higher standard. That's one of the reasons I don't plan on doing it, too much responsibility.

Truthfully, I'm not even 100 % comfortable with the Siheng title I have now. I'm not even living up to those responsibilities like I should.

If you never claimed the title Sifu around here, I'd probably be laughing with you. As it stands, you have chosen to refer to yourself as such. In my mind, it means you need to accept everything that goes with it.

Even if this is just cyberspace, and even if none of your students post here.

But like I said, that's just my opinion. And I'm pretty much nobody.

Water , ""You are a somebody""and you are intitled to your opinon. However becuse I am a sifu does that not give me the right to have a sense of humor? I also find humor in thread's (titled who who win in a fight jet li or bruce lee) Does that make me a bad sifu?
    I think you have read into my post way to much and for some reason thought that I was being derogatory towards them. I just simply pointed out the fact that someone on this board though they invented Tai Chi fighting application. And found that funny, actually quite funny and it gave me a good laugh but should
    I feel quity for that ?

Please dont judge someone simply by 1 of the 900 posts that I have made for I thought you had a perspective towards me....

PS I have many students that post here, some of wich have been with me for 7 years and some that have BB in other japanese styles that are looking for internal and softer skills, so I must be doing something right.

Sifu is still a person.
    I gotta say i kinda agree with both WaterDragon and EarthDragon on this one, notice how similar your names are guys?
    I agree that a sifu posting as such in public will be held to a higher standard but that should not come at the expense on him or her enjoying themselfs whilst on the forum.
    I think ED's post here was really just poking fun and was not intended to be insulting. I rather like a good sence of humour in a teacher and i find it refreshing to see that they dont take everything to seriously.
    My old Tai Chi weapons sifu used to frequently start dancing around in the middle of a serious Tai Chi ruitine whilst trying to poke me with a stick. She would also sometimes go from Tai Chi to some kind of pretend monkey she had made up.
    It made me cry with laughter seeing a 60 yo women trying to beat me up with a plastic sword whilst pretending to be a monkey and i loved her to bits for it.
    I think a sifu should be a bit 'above' and beyond in terms of status but its really nice when every now again they come down and poke a little fun at what got them there in the first place.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

ED is entitled to be himself, and act the way he chooses. It's not right or wrong to poke fun at somebody or something, it just is what it is.

Right or wrong are "judgements" made after the fact, and as the Tao Te Ching says it,

In comparison, the sage,
    in harmony with the Tao,
    needs no comparisons,
    and when he makes them, knows
    that comparisons are judgements,
    and just as relative to he who makes them,
    and to the situation,
    as they are to that on which
    the judgement has been made.
    Take care all of you.

- Nexus

Nexus, that, IMO is a poor use of an very wise statement to justify being a jerk.