Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can anyone tell me about the Hung Gar , and Fut Gar styles?

Battlemycrew Guest

can anyone tell me about the Hung Gar , and Fut Gar styles?

My dojo teaches a style called hung fut which is a combination of the two. But other than knowing that, I don't know much about the two. Anyone able to help?

Taijimantis Guest
    I would like to know about Fut Ga too!

CLFNole Guest
    Why don't you ask your sifu, that would probably be Sifu Yim Tai. He is a well-respected sifu. If not him try some of your sihings. Both styles originated from Shaolin and are of southern origin.

Oh by the way you study at a kwoon (chinese) not a dojo (japanese).

Peace.

Battlemycrew Guest
    He is my SIFU (tai yim). He's very busy all the time though. It's hard to get to talk to him. He's a really nice guy though.

"Oh by the way you study at a kwoon (chinese) not a dojo (japanese)." thanks for the correction. I didn't think dojo was right, but I heard someone else use it.

honorisc Guest
    Go to the school before class. Ask at the front desk to see the notebook of articles about the School. Theoretically there is one.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

tomcat Guest

Hung-gar

Hung-Gar kung fu origiated from the Shaolin Tiger system. The monk Gee Sim See taught the sysem to Hung hei Goon who later added crane techniqes. Still later , snake,panther and dragon techniqes were added. forms are long and contain many tachniques. stances are low as with most southern systems. hung-gar practitioners develop iron hard forearms for simultaeneos blocks and strikes. It was practiced on both the red boats and the narrow alleys of canton. So there was a need to develop both long and short range tech. It is a well rounded system. amitoufue tomcat

tomcat

honorisc Guest
    Fut gar--is referred to as Buddha's palm; it is the fighting of the monks of Shao-lin temple (when there were monks at Shao-lin temple (olden days)); it is considered a Soft style; many palm attacks; power/(?)speed from being relaxed~...

Hung gar--dynamic tension; sensible techniques; powerful strikes; immovable (strong) stances

WongFeHung Guest
    Hung-Ga was the five animal system, but due to Jee Siem's influence, it had more emphasis on the Tiger. The crane techniques were aleays there, Hung Hei Guen did not learn them from his wife, that's a myth that was made into a movie.

honorisc Guest

About Hung Fot (Fut) and the two families that make it

Hung gar's Hung Hei Gung had a student who was a Shao-lin monk. This monk had a student named Wun Lei~. Wun Lei combined the hard, something techniques of Hung gar and the soft, powerful techniques of Fut(means Buddha) gar.

You are learning Buddha's Palm and some of the best of Hung gar. The system has many specialty styles such as four cripple styles. There are eight angel styles~ (or eight angels style) twenty five weapons (styles) ten animal styles. Plus perhaps ten animals style. You might not have to cut off your right arm but the forms might be considered left handed. This is a good thing.

Merely a concept.

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Hung Fut Gar

Southern kung fu has full of unsubstantiated stories about the style's creation. It is quite interesting that their history has been tainted by Shaw Brothers productions. Like the evil monk, good monk and good / bad deciple. Hung Fut Gar is the same as Hung Gar.

It's cool to be Egocentric,Egotistical, Egomaniacal but not Egophobic!

Maximus Maximize!

shaolin_knight Guest
    There was in article in Kung Fu Qigong a few months ago featuring Tai Yim and Hung Fut (Kung Fu Qigong magazine is the people who host this forum). Order the back issue.

www.kungfumagazine.com

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest
    Shaolin-Knight

Was the article substantiated or unsubstantiated. Was it written by a sifu or a scifi writer?

It's cool to be Egocentric,Egotistical, Egomaniacal but not Egophobic!

Maximus Maximize!

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Battlemycrew
    If u didn't see my other thread, there's a chance I'll be moving to Baltimore and a chance I'll be your little kung fu bro in about 2~3 months.

Nice to meet u.

honorisc Guest

Ego..

You have spoken of substantiation. You, basically, state, that Hung Fut is the same as Hung gar. Substantiate this claim of yours~.

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Substantiation

No_Know

Fundamentally they are the same. Some of the forms are different but that's ok. They cover the same material anway. It's abit like students going to different schools may study out of different text books but end up learning the same material.

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com