Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jwing-Ming Yang

Jwing-Ming Yang

Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Chi Kung : The Secret of Youth
    by Jwing-Ming Yang

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...208938-4698257

Have anyone here read this book? Well what are your impressions? Does it cover most things, or does it disclude a lot of details (big or small), is it detailed enough? What are your impressions about Jwing Ming Yang himself, is he a respectable master or is he not worthy to write a book. Well how would this compare to other books of your choice? Please give examples of books you think is better and which ones this book overshadows. Is this book clear and understandable to a bigginer, and is it suitable and easy for a begginer. How would you rank this book on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the best).

Well please give me your impressions and what you think about this book, or it's writer, Jwing Ming Yang. Oh, and do you have to be an advanced student to grasp most of what he says and is his termonology clear.
    if you never get into a fight,
    you can never be defeated,
    if you can never be defeated,
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

what is a tree without its roots? what is a man without his arts?

Suicide is the cowards way out...

Oh

And if you didn't read this book but have heard of it's performances and of the successes of it's practitioner, or ANYTHING about the art associated with this book just post what you know, please. ANYTHING you know about the book and the art associated with the book. How effective is the art, what's it's history, what's the best book you've read associated with the book either then the one written by Jwing Ming Yang, and if you like Jwing Ming Yang, what do you like about him.

Just a few questions to think about and to reply on if possible.
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

Mister Hansome

I USED to have that book, i read it cover to cover.
    This might sound silly but a few times when i have read something that really clicked with it has felt like someone switched on a lightbulb inside my brain and all of sudden i can see a whole section i couldnt before. This book felt like shinning a spot light into a cave, its VERY informative but also very daunting.
    I would venture to say that its one of the closest books ive seen to properly discribing Gold Bell from a scientific as well as spiritual view point. The methods of practice are a bit beyond me but i creadit that book in particualr with giving me an understanding of high level qigung.

As another silly side note...
    I lent that book to my Hung sifu...
    He showed up next time with money and paid me for the book saying he had 'ruined' it by spilling coffee on it.
    My own impression was both that he wanted more time with it but i also dont think he thought i should have it either. He encouraged me not to buy it again untill i was a higher level.

As i say for me personaly that book in particular i would rank as a martial artists bible. Its expensive and hard to find but VERY well worth the effort.
    I dont have it anymore as i decided to follow my sifus advice but i will get it again when he deems me ready.
    The information in it is useless if your not a qigung and shaolin based practioner... but if you are, get ready for a BIG surprise
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

I must agree with jon, I also liked the book and its is very informative. I will try to answer most of your questions.

Yes it is very detailed, is it a copy of the actual damo writings? I dont think so but i also dont think that most could comprehend what bodidahmra wrote anyways for he was an enlightened spirit.

Yang Jwing Ming himself, I have heard is good at chin na fa but i have also heard that some of writings/books should not be practiced mostly the sexual qigong and the excersises that are focused around rubbing the dragons pearls for it is not expalined properly and it can lead to impotence and sterlization in men when not done perfectly, but other than that he seems to know what he is talking about.

For begginers.....???? thats kind of tough I would say buy it and read it many times in different stages in your understanding of the MA and as jon said it will shed different light in various ways and levels based on your knowledge and understanding. it digs very deeep and most of the time it willl lose the average person in mystifiying aspects of certain things not yet comprehendalbe..

My only suggestion is not just to read the book in full but rather read one section at a time and practice what it tells you to do for several months, other wise the book will be useless and it will beome like a bible..... just a book of words if you dont take practice what it is telling you..................
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Greetings..

I recently attended a workshop with Yang Jwing-Ming in Hollywood, Fla. and found it to be very informative.. He is quite adept at Chin Na and backs it up at combat speed.. Though i find his interpretation of "form" lacking, his actual movements are noteworthy.. balanced, expressive, and applicable..

His books are useful, but you need some developed skill and understanding to apply the techniques. Aside from body mechanics, the efficiency of angles and potential for multi-directional responses from your opponent are difficult to adderss in printed form.. His tapes are pretty good, though.. recommend even to my own students..

be well, enjoy the journey..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Alright then

I have a feeling that i shouldn't pratice a martial art with no instruter. But if i know nothing about qi gong, or anything like that, will i beable to understand Jwing Ming Yang's explanations? I want to read a lot of books associated with qi gong so i won't waste my time struggling when i get a teacher. People say i ask to many questions, but i only try to understand CLEARLY, so i ask questions to make sure, even when i am pretty sure, i ask to make sure. So if i read this book will i beable to understand this book clearly enough to practice without injuring myself? Does this book leave out a lot of important little details that a practitioner should know? Like the basics, or do i have to get an instructer or another book to get the basics becuase this book assumes that you are a practitioner? So are you people saying that this is a pretty advanced book for a begginer? What kind of a person would understand it clearly without getting confused? Do i have to be advanced to grasp the meaning and instructions stated inside? What kind of details does this book leave out? Is there another book that can compensate for the issues neglected by this book? Is there a book that covers the basics of qi gong?

Please consider these questions too. And i feel that all your opinions and knowledge is highly above mine. And i would appreciate any furthur explanations (including the quetions on the other posts i posted in this thread). Jon and Earth Dragon can you answer these questions as well, please.

Do you consider this too advanced for a begginer?
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

I knew the first two sets(standin closed and open hand) of those exercises before reading the book. I'd say those can be done with little instruction cause they are fairly simple. That book is to complicated fo beginners. You should read his book "Chi Kung for health and martial arts" first then read his "The root of chinese qigong" then the other book. The first two sets can be done from the book but don't do the rest of the sets or message until you get some qualified instruction.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Personally, I think the Shaolin White Crane book is Dr. Yang's best--great explanations of a lot of CMA stuff. Dr. Yang is probably best known for his chin na, which if you experience first hand you will understand why, but personally I think he's really great at explaining qi, li, soft styles, hard styles, soft jing, hard jing, etc. He has a series of weekend seminars in Boston every six months, covering Taiji, push hands, White Crane, chin na, and qigong, and I would highly recommend taking one of those, if possible---if you can afford to get to Boston, you can sleep in the studio for $10 a night. With the Taiji and White Crane seminars, he spends the first couple of hours on Saturday morning just lecturing on theory and giving examples of various things---this has helped me IMMENSELY in my CMA training and understanding. There's a lot of things that can't be communicated in a book and have to be shown in person, and I've found that Dr Yang is very approachable for individual questions no matter whether you're a 20 year student or a 20 minute student.

Also, I would add that Dr. Yang is very humble about how much there is to learn in CMA, how many years it takes to learn any style, and how much he doesn't know, and that other knowledgeable teachers may see things differently----it's up to the student to be critical and think for themselves, too. I think the students usually walk away with a great respect for the depth of CMA.

I wouldnt consider him high level as gouen said, but his a good teacher.
    Reading will help you understand a little about qigong but you have to realize that unless you are going to learn his particular form of qigong that time spent practicing will be lost. Thier are 100's of differnt kinds and styles of qigong so you cannot practice 1 and expect to find a teacher who teaches that exact one.

Learning from a book is like learning to drive a car from a book , it will help you learn where everything is and the functions of instruments but you cannot expect to learn how to drive from reading about driving.

From knowing little about MA you will find that book mostly non-comprehencable. Nothing you will read will make sense until you have been shown how and what to do, this can only be done by a qualified teacher. And sometimes not even then, again you must do each excersise for at least 3-5 months before you will notice the slighest change, most people dont have the dicipline to pratice everyday at home without an instuctor. I would seek out schools in your area and see who teaches what and ask them some questions about what you are looking fo , I am sure they would be glad to help.....
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Is there

Is there a book that can show begginers the basics? A book that is crisp and clear enough to be understood by the lowest of minds and the highest as well. Welly explained where practice won't be restricted or complete enough for most basic questions to be answered. Is there such of a book?
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

As ED said, I'm really not big into learning from books...I'd rather use them as theoretical references, or records to remember and deepen things that I would have already learnt with a teacher before.
    That book from YJM is definitely not a beginner's book, I guess his "qigong for health and martial arts" or the reference "the roots of chinese qigong" would be much more suitable (the last one I mentionned is also of a high level in some parts, but it's a great reference with wealth of informations and personal theories I have seldom seen in other books).
    I cannot comment on the sexual exercises though, since I never practiced any...which indeed makes me wonder about these peeps saying they are inaccurate...how would they know, unless they have mastered them? You cannot become a judge if you haven't studied law for quite a time.
    Just some comment...
    As for Yang, I share ED's opposite opinion...I admit, I'm a big fan of the man, but I didn't become fan out of nothing or all of a sudden. I became fan because of what I have seen with my own eyes...I have seen his qinna being applied at combat speed as someone mentionned, I have seen him proving wrong someone insisting that on that qinna it was easy to kick and his bewildered face when he couldn't move his legs other than by light tip toes (man, the face was priceless!!). I have seen him fold a heavy bag (and I mean HEAVY) by striking it from 6-7 inches with a ridge hand and still being not satisfied about his jing because the bag was slightly wobbling. I have seen him perform jumps during a sword form that I wondered if I hadn't dreamed, among many other things (including a knowledge of some style that he never mentions he knows to a good extent).
    Every year I would show up to his seminars in Paris, and every year he would amaze us with his knowledge and plain skills.
    The fact that he is also a man with rare humility and genuine gentleness finished to convince me that he is a great man, and a high level practicionner, even if he himself would deny it...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Repeating info

Crimson Phoenix and Shaolin D are correct: "I guess his "qigong for health and martial arts" or the reference "the roots of chinese qigong" would be much more suitable"

These two books are good lead-ins to the MT changing BBMW Washing book. That one is too high level for you to practice on your own, but it's great for just understanding what it's all about at the higher levels. The two intro books will give you the background you need, and include the 8 pieces of brocade set which you can learn enough of from the book to get started.

Yang's writing style is really excellent for a western readers.

-FJ

Thanks

It's nice that you reply, and i appreciate your input. I like your warnings.
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Other books of interest

Hi,

Some other books that may be of interest is "Warriors of Stillness vol. 1 & 2" by Jan Diepersloot. He explains the standing excercises well along with the internal connections you should be aware of etc.

Another book that I found helpful was "Effortless Combat Throws" by Tim Cartmell. Although it obviously is not a book on Qi Gong, the first section of the book goes into the standing practices and proper structural alignments etc. There's also another book by Tim Cartmell called "Xing Yi Nei Gong" that I also found to be great, although portions of this book is style specific.

You can find out more about these books on amazon.com.

I hope this helps...

KG

The thing that impresses me about Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming is the amount of research that goes into each of his books. They aren't thrown together. They actually contain wisdom. "The Root of Chinese Qigong" is definitely a great introduction. "The Essence of Shaolin White Crane" is unbelievable. Buy it now! Also, YJM's "Eight Pieces of Brocade" book details a good beginner's exercise.

As always an instructor is better than a book!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au