Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WC do not block

WC do not block

WC is a style which is having a philosophy of no blocking but adaptively handling dynamic flow.

What do you think?

I think that as usual - you're dreaming.

It's so easy to confuse theory with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I think that as usual - you're dreaming.

It's so easy to confuse theory with reality.

1, I am not dreaming and that is how my WCK is no block but adaptively handling the dynamic flow. Tan sau is not side outer block for example.

2, dont anyone ever ask why is the WC Kuen kuit said, Come's accept goes return? no block.

3, there is no different between theory and reality. if one doesnt follow what the kuen kuit said and make use of the tool of WCk then one will not be able to get the benifit out of WCK.

My Sifu (GM Cheung) says that even if you were to draw a straight line on a piece of paper; if you magnified it enough you will see that it actually isnt perfectly straight.

I think I see where he's coming from. Wing chun is not force against force type system, and as such you're not going to have hard blocks like what'd you see in karate for example, but deflections an redirections at most. With his wing chun the ideal is to flow with what comes, the hand forms are moments in time (which I concur with) and the result would be him dissolving the attack while launching one of his own.

Is that what you're saying Hendrick?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

WC is a hard and soft style. Therefore it depends on the circumstance when you either deflect or put up a forward forced block. Ideally, you want to flow, but this isnt a kungfu movie. It depends on your opponents attack, and your position to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    3, there is no different between theory and reality. if one doesnt follow what the kuen kuit said and make use of the tool of WCk then one will not be able to get the benifit out of WCK.
    The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than it is in theory.
    Hence, Gao Gup Sao.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Like I've been saying... a strike is a block/bridge if it's done properly with real structure to back it up.

The in/out... looping mindset is what leads to the break down of WC strategy imo.

WC is a style which is having a philosophy of no blocking but adaptively handling dynamic flow.

What do you think?

thats the first thing you ever said I can agree with...attacking in a dynamic flow. And you didnt even sing it

What do you think?
    WCK doesn't have a philosophy, it has a method (faat).

That method involves first joining/riding (daap) and then closing the opponent's offense down (jeet).

If you are blocking, it means you haven't joined and haven't closed your opponent down.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    WCK doesn't have a philosophy, it has a method (faat).

That method involves first joining/riding (daap) and then closing the opponent's offense down (jeet).

If you are blocking, it means you haven't joined and haven't closed your opponent down.
    Your method that you claim is the standard for the whole of Wing Chun is unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Your method that you claim is the standard for the whole of Wing Chun is unrealistic.
    WCK is WCK, just as BJJ is BJJ. Each has a method of fighting, and tools to implment its respective method. It's not my method, it is WCK's method. What is "standard" -- what most people do -- doesn't matter. BJJ's method is to control your opponent on the ground and submit him; WCK's method is to control while striking your standing opponent.

BTW, who was it that taught you WCK?

So a BJJ guy has no other methods available to him? He has to go down to the ground and submit his opponent to win? Wing Chun never trains you to take someone down? Or throw them? Never a one hit KO?
    I agree that those are the most common training scenarios for both styles but not that they are the boundries for a practitioner of either system.

Blog Entries

What do you think?
    This is the essence of wing chun! how to connect to the opponent's Center of Gravity and control it as though his body was an extension of yours (Loi lau hoi sung lut sao jik chung), your intent and actions are united as one. Controlling his body is as easy as controlling your own arm. This is done to manipulate and make use of the opponent's momentum, using it against him. To me this is what simultaneous attack and defence truely mean! Not necessarily blocking and striking with two arms at the same time with techniques such as tan da!
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 05-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    So a BJJ guy has no other methods available to him? He has to go down to the ground and submit his opponent to win?
    BJJis a form of submission grappling. Go figure.

Wing Chun never trains you to take someone down? Or throw them? Never a one hit KO?
    WCK,like MT, does have some fast take downs/sweeps/etc. but they are for taking the steam out of your opponent. WCK doesn't have groundfighting (it doesn't have the tools to fight on the ground nor does it have any training on the ground).

As far as a "one hit KO" -- it can happen. WCK's method is to control while striking, and we may get lucky with that first strike.

I agree that those are the most common training scenarios for both styles but not that they are the boundries for a practitioner of either system.
    It's not that they are boundaries, it is just the nature of the arts. WCK isn't anything you want to do, nor is BJJ or boxing or whatever. Do you see boxers choking each other? Is that some "boundary"?