Obama's Oval Office speech brought back memories. Let's see what he said, and what Carter said.

"Energy will be the immediate test of our ability to unite this nation, and it can also be the standard around which we rally. On the battlefield of energy we can win for our nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny." -Jimmy Carter, 1979

"Now is the moment for this generation to embark on a national mission to unleash America's innovation and seize control of our own destiny." -Obama, 2010

"Just as a similar Synthetic Rubber Corporation helped us one World War II, so will we mobilize American determination and ability to win the energy war. These efforts will cost money, a lot of money, and that is why Congress must enact the windfall profits tax without delay. It will be money well spent. I will urge Congress to create an Energy Mobilization Board which, like the war production board in World War II, will have the responsibility and authority to cut through the red tape, the delays, and the endless roadblocks to completing key energy projects." Jimmy Carter, 1979

"One answer I will not settle for is the idea that this challenge is somehow too big and to difficult to meet. You know, the -- the same thing was said about our ability to produce enough planes and tanks in World War II. There are some who believe that we can't afford those costs right now. I say we can't afford not to change how we produce and use energy, because long-term costs to our economy, our national security, and our environment are far greater." Obama, 2010