Thread: Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

Threaded View

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Good posts. On this point, and here's the rub: given that whoever is being trained is a normal human, it will not take longer to learn A than B, where they are not totally dissimilar in complexity. So the basic punches and kicks from system to system, not too different, same amount of time to ingrain them. So, given that we all agree that the systems don''t approach punching, kicking, throws, and locks in too dissimilar a fashion, if there is a difference in the time it takes to get proficiency, it has nothing to do with those moves, which comprise the styles, but in how they are trained.

So, when you get a guy who does five years of kung fu, leaves it because the methodology doesn't allow the practitioners to approach the style, and goes to something with a more useful methodology(training methodology, which is not related to style as much as culture and history), that person gains a capacity to judge the new style based on effectiveness, but, unless they do the same with the previous style, they do not have that capacity in any real sense. They do have a Fair gripe with the training environment, but the style has never gotten a proper introduction to them.

What kung fu needs, and many are doing the reforms necessary to get, is people training kung fu like fighters, whatever they wish to do with it from there. What kung fu does not need is people who previously never trained it with aliveness making proclomations about it's usefulness, either positive or negative, based on their lack of proper, meaning relevant and alive, training.

I for one do not consider it to require endless training under a teacher to gain competence in kung fu. If one is learning many styles of it, perhaps longer, but each style of open hand can be approached by a competent individual in a reasonable time if they are given the info and the environment to ingrain it. Add weapons and all, and again those will require time for each, but we're talking open hand for the most part.

You can't compare results in ingraining styles between two completely different training approaches and rule out the training methodology as the cause in order to blame the style instead.
    I need to inject a little humor to all this serious posting. This is a small matter but I need to bring it up.

KC Elbows, no matter how much you disagree with me or try to demonize me everything we argue about is philosophical. None of us is right or wrong...until now. Frost confirmed that nobody respnded to his post from a couple of pages ago even though you vehemenently disagreed with me and said a semi-pro fighter responded. I was right and you were wrong...on that topic. I guess that means I am one up on you.

Mysteriouspower +1
    KC Elbows 0
    Last edited by MysteriousPower; 06-17-2010 at 04:29 PM.