Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
Terence, there is a different cultural and historical context as I'm sure you know. Not that it means we need to continue that cultural practice.
Yes, I know -- and that's one of the things that needs to go. That sort of relationship isn't healthy and only holds people and arts back.

I'm pretty sure that for a majority (me included) they have/had a "transactional" relationship with our teachers. But over time the relationship could change to a much closer one. I think the term "master" is too loaded with the master/servant theme.
This is true in all aspects of our lives. For example, many of us only have a "transactional relationship" with our co-workers but over time can develop a closer relationship.

I wouldn't seek a father figure in my teacher. I don't need one. But I would look for mutual respect in our relationship. I've heard of a lot of exploitative relationships btwn teacher and student.
Quite frankly, IME most people get what they want. There are many people who want to be exploited (why I said it is an unhealthy relationship).

As I see it, a WCK instructor should be like a personal trainer or a golf or tennis pro. They are there to service you, not you there to service them.