Thread: Power kicks the Thai way

Threaded View

Power kicks the Thai way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witJISymkWo

This is a good light/medium level workout (depends on your conditioning) you can do, even if you don't have a full banana bag it's OK. Yodsanklai is probably the hardest kicker p4p in Thailand right now.

Just drill body kicks over and over again, knees, push kicks/side kicks and punching combinations.

Important to note, watch how he does his thrust kick (right one) at 0:51. That style is for more power and damage.

At 0:57 notice how he throws the knees, thrust the body outward by pushing off the supporting foot. Don't force your knee so high, focusing thrusting forwards with the hip and throw your weight into it.

Watch the kicks closely, especially the footwork. A lot of people have this weird idea that the "step" you need to take to line up the kick (if you want to even take a step) need to be big or exaggerated but this is not true, it can be very, very minute movement in the footwork.

Another trick is to forcefully "step-into" your supporting leg, it can just be a TINY step or movement like I stated but it's the way you drive into the ground, and then explode back up for a bit of extra power and momentum.

And oh, don't keep your knees locked man. Too many Kickboxer movies of kicking trees, LOL. Bend your knee it should slam out.

Remember the adage my old Thai trainer always tells me:

"You don't kick with your leg, you kick with your hip."

edit: waiting for CMA people to tell me something wrong with these kicks.
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 10-18-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori