It seems to me that if you learn the basics what you're actually learning is how to move and maintain proper structure and mechanics. If you've learned that properly you don't need to learn each and every set that contains each and every possible move from any angle. You're structure will be correct and you can use your technique efficiently. As you said, they're the same techniques with small modifications
I totally agree,... the longer you've been doing Pak Hok, and IF you give thought to it, without regards to the art of the form, but purely in terms of the application of techniques from a fighting stand point, you start to see a lot of technique cross over. As an example: from kup choi, to fan gok choi, to sow choi, to gok choi,... in terms of angle of attack there's plenty of crossover,... just slight adjustment of hand position, maybe forearm position and perhaps some shoulder rotation and elbow flexion (forget about kwa, bin, or pek preceding for a moment,) and on a rudimentary level, the techniques don't differ that much from one another. When you learn the hook and overhand in boxing,.... they call it a hook and overhand; now there may be MANY different ways (hand positions, angles of attack, ways to generate power, how wide or tight they apply and when), and different coaches/trainers may favor certain ways to teach them,.... but they still just call them: hook and overhand. The poetic chinese on the otherhand (ever read the Art of War? It's a manual on how to succeed at winning a war,... THAT READS LIKE A FRIGGIN' POEM!) decided that every little variation needs its own name. And then its own form. Any now we've got a hundred sets. Basic techniques and Principles are where it's at for me now,.... still love the sets,... but more for the sake of ART.