Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
Not sure you are being serious or not...
Proper skill leads to proper conditiong, what good is conditioning if you can't do the activity ???
Perhaps you are confusing things like road work and strenght training which are supplementary conditioning with the DIRECT condtioning that is coupled with technical work:
Bag work
Pad work
Sparring.

And don't let my amateur and semi-pro boxing experience at a couple of the top level boxing gyms in Toronto sway you
Seriously.
I'm being deadly serious. Wing Chun is a deadly art and I do it.

Previously you said conditioning comes from skill. Now you say that skill leads to conditioning. And I (once again) say that they are different. A skilled individual is not necessarily a conditioned one. (Whereas your logic suggests that someone with skills IS). One thing does not necessarily lead to the other, just like being skilful at forms does not make someone effective in fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjU6b...eature=channel

In the clip, the old man has technical skills, but lacks (fight) conditioning. The young man however, has the technical skill and has the conditioning to back it up/carry him through a fight, which is the formula that allows him to be effective (along with a highly developed notion of entitlement/desire to win).

There are overlaps; the skill can be made physically challenging (by increasing resistance) to create conditions for conditioning benefits. But to assume that doing a skill can lead to optimal levels of conditioning is naive and breaches principles of efficiency. Why hit bags to get fit, when sprinting will get you there quicker. Punching a bag will only make your muscles and connective tissues stronger upto a threshold. Conditioning by way of e.g. powerlifts following a periodized scheme will take you into the optimal ranges of conditioning.

Conditioning is not skill. They are separate and should be trained using different protocols (the proviso that conditioning should at some stage, be skill specific).

My original point can be illustrated simply; an average boxing school will produce reasonably skilled fighters quicker than an average wing chun school. Which would beg the following question; if I wanted to become an effective fighter in as short a period of time, why would I choose Wing Chun? Esoteric reasons? So that I can practise something 'cool' like Kung Fu? (Or my own reason... to be deadly).

I acknowledge your semi-pro boxing background, but only if you acknowledge my experience having watched some boxing once, on a TV.

Suki