Thread: 基本功/Ji Ben Gong

Threaded View

基本功/Ji Ben Gong

新年好!

Recently I have been prescribed certain single movement practices/ji ben gong by my shifu with the admonition that real gong fu is not obtained through taolu practice but ji ben gong.

I don't necessarily mean the basics like li he tui or ma bu dan bian, not to say that those are not excellent exercises that require occasional maintenance. Rather, repetitive practice of certain movements found within some taolu.

For instance I was prescribed the movement 卧枕 wo zhen, found in Pao quan and a few others I think. I practice this alternating both sides for predetermined intervals.

I also practice gong bu tui zhang and pu bu qie zhang in this fashion. In the case of gong bu tui zhang I find this deceptively simple pattern to contain inexhaustible subtleties. Pu bu qie zhang only because I feel I am somewhat lacking in this movement; I have a tendency to hunch over to reach my lead foot rather than keeping the spine erect and balancing over the lead leg.

This is not to say I no longer practice taolu. In fact this method has only served to enhance my forms. In some ways the above described method can be even more exhausting than taolu practice as in taolu one is given opportunities to catch one's breath in certain resting poses or dramatic pauses. There are no such opportunities when practicing ji ben gong.

Anyone have any particular ji ben gong that they focus on?
    Last edited by wenshu; 02-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?