Thread: Buk Sing and Lee Koon Hung

Threaded View

Buk Sing and Lee Koon Hung

What would you consider to be the major differences/similarities in Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut forms as compared specifically to Lee Koon Hung line Choy Lay Fut forms? Do you think the close interaction that Poon Sing, Lee Koon Hung, and Tat Mau Wong had with several major Buk Sing players (Dave and Vince Lacey, etc.) had any influence on how these schools now play their forms?
    My teacher (from Hong Kong) claimed Buk Sing, but from my own research and comparing the forms I learned with those of other Choy Lay Fut schools, I see a strong resemblance to those forms as practiced within the Lee Koon Hung line. This prompted me to start asking some serious questions regarding cross-pollination of styles especially where these particular schools are concerned.
    Keep in mind that I personally consider forms to be of secondary importance to fighting practice, physical conditioning, and free sparring where developing real fighting skill is concerned. However, these same forms are our martial inheritance and should therefore be maintained.

I look forward to your responses, comments, and observations.
    Last edited by crazyfistmonk; 03-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.