The secret to most Chinese martial arts is that it has to have a sense of secrecy in order for it to thrive. Since most of my experience with Chinese martial arts comes from Wing Chun, I will use Wing Chun as an example. I’ve been studying Wing Chun for over 10 years. Every Wing Chun school that I have been too, gives off an atmosphere that their Wing Chun is better or more original or more traditional or more superior. In a sense, it is more secretive and only taught to loyal students or indoor disciples. The Sifu’s I have encountered subconsciously re-enforces that he will share this secret with all us if we remain loyal to him and his lineage. For the past 10 years, I’ve never learned anything I would consider to be “secret, original, traditional or superior ”Wing Chun." Is it because I wasn’t a loyal student? Is it because I didn’t pay fees? Not true at all. I’ve remained loyal and paid all my fees. I did things in class and outside of class that was not even related to Wing Chun for all my Sifu’s. I’ve even posted comments on martial art forums for them even though I didn’t agree with what they wanted me to say to the internet public. Till this day, I still have not learned the secret Wing Chun that my all Sifu’s subconsciously portrays in their school. The only secret that I have learned over this 10 year experience is that, if someday, I decide to teach Wing Chun and want to make money and retain students, I have to do what these Sifu’s did to me and that is to keep all students wandering that there is a “secret, original, traditional or superior” Wing Chun; and if they want to learn it; they will have to remain loyal and pay their fees over a long period of time. This is just my personal experience. Sorry if I offended anyone. All thoughts are welcomed.