Thread: New Book Review

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    What most likely happened based in the information I have heard and manuals I hav read is that Jiang Hualong put additional movements into Beng Bu. The version commonly practiced by 7 Star Schools and some Taiji Mantis descended from Sun, I think it was SUn Yuanchang, seems to follow closest the manuscript of Liang Xuexiang.

So, you can compare the Seven Star and SUn Yuanchang, which includes Zhao Zhuxi of HK, to get an idea. What it actually looked like 150 years ago who knows? But, the idea and applications....

As for the creator, that I can not say, and I have tried to peice that together, but I can not.
    Thank you for your detailed and honest assessment!

So, are you saying that you believe the beng bu passed down to Master Cui is the one influenced by Master Jiang Hualong?

Yes, I have compared the three forms you mentioned above. Some similarities, some differences. But each are interesting and valuable I think.

The version practiced by Master Cui's students also has similarities to the forms mentioned above, but far more differences than similarities. Though I also like that version and believe it is very valuable.

Sometimes I think differences can teach us as much as similarities.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!