I think a lot of the confusion we've been having on the forums is because people have different definitions of what "internal" means.

So let's discuss what "internal" means.

Not "what should it mean" or "what would a better definition be," but when you hear "internal" in reference to martial arts, what does it mean to you?

Here are some examples of the word "internal" in reference to martial arts:

- Taiji, Bagua, and Xingyi are internal arts
- The man was practicing internal iron palm
- This form has an internal component
- This technique develops internal strength

Here is a more complete definition of the "having to do with qi" poll choice. I am confident that most people know what I mean, but a few people are going to try and play "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is" with it, so this clarification is necessary:

Having to do with qi - "Qi" as in "mystical force," specifically being different than doing the same movement without the "internal" component. For example, an external palm strike vs. an "internal" palm strike where you consciously direct qi into your hand to change the effect of the strike. Or any movement or technique that is somehow made different by the manipulation of qi in the movement, compared to performing the same movement with the same form, structure, and breath patterns, but without modification by qi.

To me, "internal" has a distinct reference to "qi."

And wikipedia agrees with me:

Nčijiā (Chinese: 內家; literally "internal school") is a term in Chinese martial arts, grouping those styles that practice nčijėng (Chinese: 內勁; literally "internal strength"), usually translated as internal martial arts, occupied with spiritual, mental or qi-related aspects, as opposed to an "external" (Chinese: 外; pinyin: wāi) approach focused on physiological aspects. The distinction dates to the 17th century, but its modern application is due to publications by Sun Lutang, dating to the period of 1915 to 1928. Nčijėng is developed by using "nčigōng" (內功), or "internal exercises," as opposed to "wāigōng" (外功), "external exercises."
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neijia

Proper breathing and proper structure may be necessary in order to manipulate the mystic energy of qi, but proper breathing and proper structure alone do not make something internal.

For example, I have good form when I bench press. And I breathe correctly, exhaling as I press the weight up. Does that mean I bench press internally? Of course not. It just means I know how to bench press with correct technique. It is still an external bench press.

If I were to bench press with incorrect form, such as rounding my shoulders and inhaling while I press the weight up, that would still be an external bench press; just one done with incorrect form.

Now, if I were to summon my qi and use that to lift the bar, quantifiably different than just using my muscles like a normal person, then that would be an internal bench press.

After you vote in the poll, answer this question if you want:

How is an "internal" art or technique different than an "external" art or technique?

My answer: "internal" means modified by qi. An "internal" punch is a punch in which qi is moved into the fist to change the effect of the strike. An "internal" martial art is an art that focuses on the development and use of qi power in a martial context. An "external" punch is a punch without modification by qi, eg., how a boxer punches. An "external" art is an art that does not train or manipulate qi power, for example, boxing, Muay Thai, or playing guitar. Boxing with correct form is still external boxing. Playing guitar at a master level without thinking about the notes you are going to play is still external guitar playing, it's just unconscious competence. It's good "kung fu."

What does "internal" mean do you?