Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight

Threaded View

Originally posted by LaterthanNever
    Supposedly, Ip decided to teach Bruce privately because he(Ip) felt Lee was one of the more talented students and took a liking to him.
    Um…I’m curious where you heard this because everything I’ve read has pointed out that after Ip’s students didn’t want Bruce training at the school anymore Ip told William Cheung to take him under his wing and teach him privately. Many believe this was because Bruce was part white but it’s known that he didn’t get along with many of the senior students in Ip’s school because, as Matt_WCK pointed out, Bruce couldn’t abide not being the top man. This is how he’s been characterized by virtually everyone who ever knew him.

10 seconds or 11 seconds..does it matter? I trained under Jesse for a time and have met Taky(at Jesses' funeral). I've also met Linda (Lee). None of them seemed like people who would exaggerate.

"Individuals known to have witnessed the match included Cadwell, James Lee (Bruce Lee's associate, no relation), and William Chen, a teacher of T'ai chi ch'uan. Wong and witness William Chen stated that the fight lasted an unusually long 20–25 minutes.[51] According to Bruce Lee, Linda Lee Cadwell, and James Yimm Lee, the fight lasted 3 minutes with a decisive victory for Lee. "The fight ensued, it was a no-holds-barred fight, it took three minutes. Bruce got this guy down to the ground and said 'do you give up?' and the man said he gave up" – Linda Lee Cadwell.[44]"

Would it matter if it was 3 minutes vs. 25 minutes?(I'm skeptical about the 25 minute claim. Most fights don't last that long). Lee won the match.
    You seem to be assuming that just because Jesse and Linda didn’t seem like people who would exaggerate that Wong Jack Man, William Chen, and, in case you forgot he was there, David Chin are. Bruce Lee said, “To tell you the truth, I can beat anyone in the world!”, and he doesn’t seem like the type of guy who could exaggerate? And don’t forget Jesse Glover wasn’t there so he had nothing to exaggerate about. Also, out of everyone who was there how come Linda and Bruce seem to be the only ones who claimed Wong uttered the words “I give up”? Could it be because this is what Bruce told Linda and all of his friends because he knew it would be good for his rep? I think so.

"Wong Jack Man published his own account of the battle in the Chinese Pacific Weekly, a Chinese-language newspaper in San Francisco, which contained another challenge to Lee for a public rematch.[51] Lee had no reciprocation to Wong's article, nor were there any further public announcements by either, but Lee had continued to teach Caucasians."

Remember..when you are dead..it's usually for a very long time
    Last I checked..Bruce isn't going to reanimate and climb out of the grave to rebut the claim

"This whole thread started to expose that Londa had lied about the wjm fight. If she lied about that then she could have lied about anything."

I have not gotten that vibe in meeting Linda at all(dishonesty). It must feel good to be a troll from the safety of your laptop ------- miles away from Seattle.(where he is buried). And "if"? If grandma had b-lls..she'd be grandpa!

" His friends could be lying or embellishing."

As could Wong Jack Man or just about anyone!
    That’s funny because teaching Caucasians was never really the issue. I don’t know why anyone in the JKD camp would ever keep trying to point this out as the reason the match happened when there’s mountains of circumstantial evidence that shows this to be totally bunk. Here are just a few things to consider:

1. Wong Jack Man trained for years the first Caucasian to ever win the full-contact World Martial Arts Tournament in China in 1978.
    2. For years he trained guys like Brent Hamby (a Caucasian) who was a USAWKF National San Shou champion.
    3. He trained Sifu Scott Jenson (another Caucasian) who has been featured in some recent issues of KF Magazine.
    4. For a time he also trained me and guess what? I’m Caucasian.

Besides that I saw Wong Sifu’s classes to be made up of white, black, and Chinese students. Once again, there was prejudice against westerners among some people in the Chinese community (understandable considering how Asians were treated back then) but from what I’ve gathered from my discussions with certain people in the SF Chinatown community, it was mainly some of the Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun masters who felt that way.

Also, it wasn’t long after the arguments Lee had with WJM over the interview and the Chinese Pacific Weekly article that:

1. Lee closed his Oakland school.
    2. He moved out of the area.
    3. He put down Wing Chun and changed his style.

Why point out that Bruce can’t reanimate to rebut the claims made by Wong when he didn’t rebut them while he was alive? It’s not like he didn’t have years to make a public announcement about it.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 08-23-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)