... is that there is some fluidity between the disciple categories. A martial disciple may one day opt to take monk vows. A monk might 'disrobe' meaning to forsake their vows (see Should Warrior Monks Disrobe?, which is the complete transcript of my article of the same title in the 2010 Shaolin Special). While many have voiced criticism against the biaoyanseng, many of the present heshang did some time as a biaoyanseng. You have to stay in the moment with an individual when it comes to this. That's Shaolin impermanence for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
As for people not being Buddhist but undergoing Buddhist discipleship ceremonies and receiving Dharma-names... well, you tell me why they do it...
As you mentioned, there is a martial discipleship which is very common and does not necessarily have a connection to Buddhism. However Shaolin descends from a Buddhist tradition, so a martial discipleship into the Shaolin lineage might include some Buddhist trappings. Such is the nature of China and Chinese religions; things often get mixed. I could see even a BSL discipleship retaining some Buddhist rituals. As for the Dharma-name, well, it's not unheard of for martial disciples to take an en familia name. Again, within Shaolin lineage Kung Fu clans, those Shaolin trappings might remain. Buddhist rules only apply to those that follow them. Just look at some of the vows in the Tiandianhui and Tong initiation rituals. If a master stands outside of that, he can make up any sort of disciple name he pleases, something like Shi Hengdarth perhaps.

Mind you, I'm not saying that this is proper or improper. It just is.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
The latest notice put on their website even attacks these groups for donning the monastic robes as casual dress or using them as school uniforms, which mixes up monk and layman.
Do you have a link to this? I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with the website.