Thread: Timing

Threaded View

Timing

Let's talk about timing. The most undiscussed topic on this forum and one of the most untrained attributes of many WC practitioners.

Before we can even discuss it, let's first define the different types. While there are different terminologies it can be broken down into these four categories with regards to the WC system(albeit the timing is true across all systems in different applications).

--------------
    Regular Timing: normal 1 beat movement such as each half of the chi sao roll or a basic "block" of your opponents attack. If a line opens, you go in. When you go in on an open line it is also "regular timing"

Create Timing: 1-2 beat movement where you attack by attempting to open or jam a line such as a pak punch, step punch, lop punch, etc. You are "creating" a reference point in time that the opponent can use. fyi - someone with really good timing can minimize the length of time between the 1-2(one reason body unity is so important)

Break Timing: 1 1/2 beat movement. The space in between the 1-2 of "create timing". The whole 'you move first but I get there quicker' adage. fyi - It's a 1/2 beat against "regular timing".

Double/delayed Timing: Using any two of the above timings together. The epitome of someone skilled with timing can use it freely and switch between this and any singular timing at will. fyi - It is impossible to go beyond 3 timing movements without your timing restarting. Remember that, it's important.
    --------------

So now that we have that out of the way, and hopefully everyone understands, I'm interested in what people are doing to even cultivate these timings. I suffice to say that, while all the attributes are important and related to timing, there are two main training areas that develop it more than others. Coordination of the hands with body and recovery drills. I offer two examples:

1 - COORDINATION: I am willing to bet that the majority of practitioners of WC, let alone this forum, can not even do this simple drill without having to slow down and think about it, let alone have it feel natural.

With switching your punching side back and forth and turning(just as you do in chum kiu) do this sequence:

Lop punch - Pak punch - Pak punch - Lop punch - Pak punch - Lop punch - Lop punch - Pak punch

To simplify:
    Lop - Pak - Pak - Lop - Pak - Lop - Lop - Pak

If you can do this smoothly and at a relatively fast speed without thinking about it, congratulations, you probably have a decent coordination of your WC body. If not, then you need to work on it. Drills like this will help you and you can use any combination you'd like but once you pick one, stick to it till you can do it smoothly. And always switch between your punching sides w/ turning.

2 - RECOVERY: An excellent drill to practice timing in application is relatively simple and like all good drills can be modified to whomever's choosing.

- Have a partner attack you

- Block the first attack

- Let the second attack come in

- Block the third attack from the vulnerable position you are now in. You just did true "regular timing". Do this over and over until you're solid. Most people really can't do "regular timing" well.

Now try it with, instead of blocking, try to deal with the third attack with "break timing" as in, intercept with a return attack. Don't have your partner block. Do this over and over again till you feel comfortable.

Now do the "break timing" again but now have your partner try to block your attack. Since you know he will, this will allow you to work on your "Double/delayed timing". You have to switch to "create timing" if he's successful in his block or "regular timing" if he doesn't and the line is open.

I highly recommend this drill. What this develops over time is actual dynamic timing in relation to an opponent in motion.

--------

Any thoughts? Any good drills you have that develops these timings?
    Last edited by WC1277; 07-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.