Thread: One of the TCMA training methods

Threaded View

Blog Entries

One of the TCMA training methods

When I trained TCMA, if my teacher taught me a move in the morning, he would expect me to use it that evening. I can't remember how many times that he had screemed at me, "Why didn't you try the move that I taught you yesterday?" He just wanted to me to "try" it. Succeed or fail was not important.

- The more that I had tried a move,
    - the better chance that I might like that move, and
    - the better chance that move could end up in my toolbox someday.
    - The moment a move is in my toolbox, I'll have the rest of my life to "enhance" and "polish" it.
    - But I have to find it, make sure that I like it, and put it into my toolbox first (If I don't like a move, and will never use it, it will be a waste of time to "enhance" and "polish" that move).

There are 61 categories of throws. both categories of "foot sweep" and "leg block" all have more than 30 different techniques. Nobody has time to train them all in his life time. A teacher needs to help his students to find the throws that they like before any "serious" training can even start. I was trained this way. My teacher was a TCMA teacher. So I believe this is also "one of the TCMA training methods".

What's your opinion about this training method? Do you think this method can also be applied to the striking art?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-19-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument