Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
The big problem is that his "dummy" is not fighting back! You can make many Wing Chun actions work with a co-operating partner. Most people have never had a fight in their lives so they are not aware of how much BS floats around in Wing Chun classes. If that guy Chris can hold his opponent and ***** slap him all around the place when the other guy is trying to do the same to him then post a clip of that!
I have some footage from seminars, of Chris doing what you're talking about, with higher grades who are able to respond better - but of course only to a degree. Recorded on my iPhone. I will find some and then ask the guys if they mind me posting it. Maybe they don't mind. If you're doing better at fighting back, the result is still the same - it just prolongs things a second or two longer until you get hit

But the key is not to be 'holding the opponent' in the sense that you've pinned him in some way. It is trapping, for sure, but it is momentary. To be honest, it is not easy to recover from as you're often out of position slightly from the control. The one dominating the exchange is moving from one position/moment of this hit/control method to another, and it happens very fast. In this clip you can see Chris is working the guy, but he's not going in too heavy, and at nothing like full speed. This is just relaxed testing and probing.

Also why always from poon sau? Poon Sau already gives us a hitting distance. The biggest thing in a real fight is getting into that position.
Things are often worked from Poon Sau because it is easier and quicker to teach stuff, or show stuff, with the hitting position/range having already been established. In our Lat Sau work we start from a distance, enter then get to what you see in this clip.

It looks just like flappy arm fest to me and not good thinking for real fights.
It is a strange thing to see, I think, if you haven't felt it. So maybe it seems flappy, which perhaps makes people think it is too loose or unconnected. The movements (arms and upper body) are relaxed and loose in the sense that they are not tight or fixed, but they have pressure towards the opponent's centre.

There is a heavy hitting power that comes with this relaxation and forward force - or what we sometimes call extending force in LTWT. The name is not important, really, but you can hit with force, and with speed, and you're able to change and react quickly because the whole thing is relaxed and flows.