nine-month vow of silence in protest...impressive...very Bodhidharma.

Fresh call for probe into Shaolin sale
By ROBERT CRAWFORD
Feb. 17, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

SILENCE BROKEN: Daniel McConnell has called for an inquiry into Shoalhaven City Council’s handling of the Comberton Grange property dealings with the Shaolin Foundation.
See your ad here

A JERVIS BAY man has called for an inquiry into the handling of the Comberton Grange property at Falls Creek, where the proposed multi-million dollar Shaolin temple is to be built.

Daniel McConnell, who stood in silence for five minutes during the Planning Assessment Commission’s public meeting to discuss the Shaolin tourist and residential complex, has broken his silence.

The former Shoalhaven mayoral candidate has been a staunch opponent of the development for 10 years.

At one stage he observed a nine-month vow of silence in protest. He now says he wants to be the voice for Jervis Bay.

“I hope the state government, be it either Liberal or Labor after the election, initiates some sort of commission to investigate the dealings over the Comberton Grange property,” he said.

“I believe it needs to happen.

“If everyone involved has done everything right there is nothing to hide and there should be no reason such an investigation could not take place.

“But if people have broken the law they should face the consequences.

“My vow of silence at the PAC meeting was to raise the community’s awareness of the Aboriginal peoples’ voice. My silence allowed the Aboriginal voice to be heard loud and clear.”
See your ad here

He asked why the foundation had been given numerous deadlines by council, which they had time and again failed to meet.

“Many of those decisions to grant extensions were made in confidential sessions and there was no opportunity for the community to object,” he said.

“Residents and ratepayers had no recourse. In the end it is public land.

“I think the impact on the natural environment and the culture of the site has been lost on council, who are just the custodians of the land.

“Why have successive councils been so eager to attract culture and heritage from China when they have the culture of the bushmen people of Jervis Bay right there?”

Mr McConnell asked why a petition tabled in state parliament questioning the impact the proposal could have on the health of the watercourses of Jervis Bay and the financial bona fides of the Shaolin Temple Foundation, wasn’t investigated.

“We only got a response from the Planning Department, which said it was being referred to PAC, which we knew, nothing was ever done about the financial side.

“Perhaps if it had been, the city would not find itself in the trouble it is now.

“I had previously raised this with Member for Bega Andrew Constance before he became Treasurer. I even drove to Bega to meet with him about it, so he was well aware of the issues.

“There should be a public inquiry into the whole issue.”