"I'm sorry Hendrick, I truly am but your arrogance and paranoia do you and your research no favours."

I was ready at first to think that maybe the guy could face well enough but he had to distance at the threat of actually backing it up beyond the book itself as a product.

Then I have to wonder if he somehow didn't see it coming. He specifically said "you are trying to bait me." - it looks pretty much like that's exactly what you did?

First you dogged him apparently, then went hysterically rushing up with an apology as "polished and worthy of golf claps" as your slandering probably was, he said he accepted it?
Instead of going on like the sincere simply would, you apparently launch a list of demands to the effect of
"You're stupid"
"Ok you're not stupid I was wrong so here I am? Teach me and go along with my schemes."
"You don't want to?!? But I apologized like kindergarden and everything! I'm insincere and trying to bait you?!?"
"You're stupid. I gotta go tell everybody how stupid you are"

Lots of people never get past about 3rd grade and so many these days have no basis in what (even) hillbillies call "raisins". The decay of manners and mind have progressed hand in hand.