Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
When analyzing the video this is exactly what I was thinking- step-pivot/ simultaneous hammer fist to face (imo this would have worked if the guy in white would have used it instead of retreating backwards). as you also said billy stepping back like he did is a bad move- the guy did not have to be totally overwhelmed the way he did. the guy in black actually reminded me of a classmate i used to spar with. sometimes he got me, other times i would side step and he would just miss me allowing me to slip in some taps his way or sometimes even a throw or a takedown (which is harder to do than to punch.)

Anyway I am sure if there were video clips available of me sparring there would be 1,000 things people could pick apart or say "i should have done this..." just sharing my 2 cents after watching the video.
If we were as critical of ourselves as we are others we would see many faults in ourselves. I try to in myself. To avoid imagining that which I am not. Not that imagination is a bad thing. It is a great thing. But, where am I today.

Anyway, I believe completely wing chun can work. Everyone says the **** is in the sets. Well, having seen the pivot I just made an observation. It may or may not be emphasized in his school. His main issue was not advancing his attack. I could be wrong and again there may be many rights depending on ones understanding. But at its base level. WC should be a aggressive in your face don't let up art. I seldom see that. The fists should constantly be in the guys face and throat. Look at the main guard. It is set up to draw attacks to the mid section. If the guy goes for it bam in the face. If he tries to kick it, rush him and bam he hopefully goes down. Standing still may work for some WC guys. Backpeddeling is almost never good. It is the most instinctive response. To many things can go wrong.

Kudos to both guys seeing what they can do.

Great observations all.