Marvel confirms Finn Jones as Iron Fist: 'The perfect choice'
Marvel TV chief: 'Finn wonderfully blends confidence with vulnerability...'
BY JAMES HIBBERD • @JAMESHIBBERD

(Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)
Posted March 17 2016 — 10:30 AM EDT

It’s finally official: Marvel is publicly confirming for the first time that Finn Jones will star in Iron Fist.

The Game of Thrones actor will take on the role of Daniel Rand, a New Yorker who learns an ancient form of mystical martial arts. EW first revealed the casting earlier this month.

“Danny Rand is a very complicated character,” said executive producer and showrunner Scott Buck. “He’s a billionaire New York Buddhist monk martial arts superhero who’s still trying to figure out what exactly that all means. Finn is able to play all these levels in such an honest, revelatory way that as soon as I saw him I knew he was our Danny.”

Added Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb: “Finn wonderfully blends confidence with vulnerability, making him the perfect choice as he struggles to find his place in the world. Now that we’ve found our Danny Rand, we’ve completed our principal cast for the upcoming Defenders on Netflix and we are thrilled to continue to show audiences unexplored corners of the Marvel Universe.”

In addition, Marvel said the series will open with Rand returning to New York City after being missing for years: “He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.”

Last weekend, Marvel TV head Joe Quesada teased that the magical devices in Iron Fist will allow for a different take on Hell’s Kitchen than the company’s other Netflix titles – like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. “The Danny Rand character himself will have a different perspective on the world than some of the characters that you’re seeing now – as will Luke Cage. I mean you guys haven’t seen that show yet, either,” he said. “Our goal is to provide four different shows that each have their own feel while, again, feeling like they are a part of a whole. It’s still the early stages of Iron Fist, so I’m a little hesitant to say too much more than that. But Danny Rand is a completely different character, and the world that he comes from, how he obtained his powers and his skills — all completely different. I think fans will be pleased.”

Jones will next be seen on season 6 of Game of Thrones, which debuts April 24.

Marvel also released this teaser image:
...billionaire Buddhist monk...