Hello,

I was turned down a few years ago when approaching a Master of a lesser taught kung fu style in NYC. I was asked by a senior student of his(who taught the class for the first 30 minutes) if I had studied any other styles in the past. I only answered *because I was asked*. I mentioned that I had done WC(1 year), Ba Bu tang lang(8 step) for 4 years, and trained w/ the late Jesse Glover(Bruces' first student) for a little under 2 years.

I thanked the student and the Master for allowing me to observe the class. I was polite, did not interrupt class, bowed to the Master and thanked him for his time. I also expressed that I had wanted to learn this unique and rare style for quite some time and I would be honored to be accepted as his student. His senior student told me that I would have to fill out an application online to be considered. Needless to say..I contacted them by e-mail as I was told and at least expected to be given a reply with a link to fill out a form to apply.

Anyway, I got a reply about a week later saying "We are unable to accept your application". ?????

Um.. *what* application? They didn't even allow me to apply and then look at it and say "Naaah..not a good match".

Has it been anyones' experience that mentioned what arts one has studied before to be a liability when wanting to learn something new? Is Bruce that much of a polarizing figure that the mere mention of him(or anyone in his innner circle from back in the day) comes across as an automatic bar to learning something else?

Perhaps there are styles which have a rivalry which I am unaware of? I know for instance..WC and CLF have been "enemies" and some who are very traditional would refuse to teach a new student if that student had any past experience with the "rival/nemesis" art.

I could see if I was loud and boisterous and rude to this teacher or his students but I was not.

May I please have some objective input here? Thank you.

Good wishes,
LTN