Thread: Fighting very very big opponents.

Threaded View

I guess I had best add few points to this post, the reason being that I am one of those big opponents that can worry a martial artist.

When it comes to moves that hurt, I guess a good knee shot (as mentioned by curtis)or a stamp/seven star step onto the instep or toes has stopped me in the past.

I do expect a few nut or head shots, but then again I m MA too, a drunken neanderthal may just try and hit as hard as he can and forget defence. Thats fine as long as you dont catch a big swinging haymaker punch.

Prem mentioned moving in and out and alternating attack angles, that works great if I try and follow. After a short while I end up exhausted and easy prey. I tend to remain fairly static now and try to let the little guy burn up energy bouncing around.

I have taken on grapplers before, some of the most painfull things that I have had are the little finger and the thumb being twisted or wrenched, that really put me off hitting back with that hand. But it takes confidence to go up close, I have had some people try it and panic when they are caught (not that I would harm a sparring partner of course)

I have found a good shot to the temple and armpits works well too, hitting around the stomach, chest, upper legs and arms is something I soak up well.

The only way I can recommend (as mentioned by Jerry) for getting used to bigger opponents is to spar with one. Also talk through the techniques. At my old club a good freind of mine ( a 6'3" and 20 stone Wing Chun sifu) and I used to get kitted up in full body armour and go beserk, this gave the other blokes a feel for taking on a 'charging bull' and let them go in full contact with some hits. However if in doubt avoid a fight or use that chair!

Either way the martial artist I have always found difficult to take on are guys who are experienced, relaxed and confident with their style. I hope this is of some use and that I have not just fallen into stating the obvious (bear in mind I am a large thick neanderthal when it comes to explaining myself), all the best folks

Outcast
    Last edited by Outcast; 02-21-2002 at 05:27 PM.