Quote Originally Posted by Surf-Rider View Post
Having a school is completely different than teaching someone personally.
Having a successful school is also different than TCMA survival.

You are in the people business when you open a school. I read somewhere that "people don't really care what you know until they know you care."
This is a kind of western culture thing.

I also agree with MightyB that making a living teaching kids suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks! Only adults can understand the amount of effort required in the regular practice of the cma. Therefore, the survival is based on how many adults we can inspirer to commit to the learning and practice.
Making a living doing kiddie daycare sucks. Truly teaching the real thing to kids can be much more rewarding than teaching adults.

The kids I've taught are still better than any of the adults that have ever joined. And some of the adults joined because they wanted to be able to do what they saw the kids doing.

The kids were disciplined, attentive, and did as they were told during 4 hour workouts. This wasn't kung fu daycare, and I didn't make any money from it. But those kids do more for survival of real TCMA than any of the others.

This summer, one of the former kids came back to train during break after graduating from Air Force Academy. The last time he trained with me was about 8 years ago. We did 8+ hours a day of one on one for 3 days before he had to leave again. By the time he left, he was doing better than any of the current adult students who had been training for a few years. All of his muscles were sore though.

So, back to the question, "how does the TCMA survive for future generations to learn?" It MUST BE TAUGHT. Doesn't matter if it is in the park, a basement, a garage, or a location. Of course a location will require the most work.
Yes, taught. But be careful if you find yourself compromising to be a commercial success.

Then it becomes survival of the business more than survival of TCMA.