Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
In the heat of a fist fight, it is a bit optimistic to get all the way to someone's side and control them by their arm like that.

---If you are picturing a boxer darting in and out, then maybe. But "in the heat of a fist fight", plenty of people come charging straight in and it becomes relatively easy!
Circling all the way around to flank a reasonably skilled and uncooperative opponent so completely and keep them from turning back is probably nigh impossible, unless grappling; arm drag, body clinch.

---Not really. As you have said about WSLVT....if you have actually trained it you start to appreciate better how it can work.
Ehh, I don't know...

I haven't been through the curriculum, but I have seen it in person.
It's the same stuff shown in various Youtube clips, and not difficult to understand.

It's just a wonder with all the available fight clips why it's never been seen if it's "relatively easy".

Can you honestly say you have achieved full on perpendicular position to an uncooperative and skilled opponent by just stepping around them and doing something to their arm and kept them there while attacking? Or has it been at best more of a 45 degree angle for a moment?

If yes to the former, more power to you, but like I said, I'd love to see it, because no one else in available fight clips I'm aware of has managed to pull it off.

---But the same could be said of all the WSLVT clips. I haven't seen your version of flanking being used against an uncooperative skilled opponent either. Its always against a fellow VT student. At least in that earlier clip of Rahsun he was showing it against an actual boxer, even though the guy wasn't trying to stop him.
You just saw one. The guy is a 6'3", strong, skilled instructor in his own right and was not being cooperative. He was being properly shutdown.

The exchange was entirely different from what was shown with that boxer who, as you say, wasn't trying to stop him.

It doesn't matter what style someone usually does if they aren't trying.

And it doesn't matter what style someone is doing if they are trying.

Cutting in on one side or the other of the opponent's "triangle" is flanking, as opposed to fighting up the middle, point to point.

---As I pointed out before, that could be debated as you aren't really taking the flank by definition. But no big deal. I would call that "cutting the angle" rather than flanking. But as already noted, it is accomplishing similar things.
Call it what you like. The definition of "to flank" I'm using is to attack the sides, and that is what we're doing if you imagine an isosceles triangle pointing toward you. It doesn't have to be to the extreme left or right, but it is not at all up the middle.