Shaolin trains forms in the large frame. Like all Kung Fu systems that do this, these are exaggerated mechanics that aren't necessarily going to look the same in live sparring/fighting.

The stance with the raised heel from northern styles is more similar to how you would apply a cross from a boxing or Muay Thai perspective. Of course it also wider and exaggerated as Kung Fu systems tend to train to the extreme to reinforce mechanics and for aesthetic purposes.

The feet remain flat on the ground in the orthodox bow stance because of emphasis on rooting. (I believe one can effectively root while lifting one heel, however.) In application there is always going to be some trade off between power and mobility. I's great if we can sink and plant into a strong stance and wail away with tons of power and root, but if your feet are glued to the ground you are going to get destroyed. On the other hand if your just dancing around in circle and never "sitting" on any of your strikes, you aren't going to generate any real power. The balance between mobility and sinking/rooting/sitting on punches is evident among any high level fighter from any discipline.

That being said, I think the "pose" of many of the traditional stances is a freeze frame of what often happens at the split second of the end of a technique...in these pictures we see what looks an awful lot like a bow stance, but with the back heel raised a bit, as is the reality of chasing an opponent down.

Name:  06_McDonald_Soto_03.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  ufc-100-punch.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  33.1 KB