Hi,
I read the article with great interest in the new issue of Kung Fu/Qigong magazine -- the one in which Gene undergoes the "no-touch knockout" challenge.

Gene makes the comment (and I don't have the magazine with me at the moment so I'll paraphrase): in order to do kung fu you must believe in chi.

Gene, that is simply wrong. Chen Xiaowang, who is one of the most highly regarded tai chi masters in the world today, the grandson of Chen Fake and the descendant of Chen Wangting, says you do NOT need to believe in chi in order to do good tai chi.

I'm not being disrespectful here, but I would like to know why you think that belief in chi is required? Using chi as a concept is one thing -- but to actually require belief in this outdated scientific concept is another matter.

I submit that in order to do good kung fu, you need a qualified teacher who can teach the proper body mechanics. In Chen tai chi, for example, that begins with silk-reeling exercises, learning to open and close, learning to center the stance, shift the weight properly, rotate the dan t'ien -- all physical endeavors that require no belief in chi -- just a lot of practice.

Now, regarding the challenge that you undertook, since you already believe in the "no-touch knockout" I believe you were biased. Even though you weren't knocked out, I believe you were receptive to the idea, and that's why things went "buzzy."

I would love to undergo the same demonstration. So far, all alleged chi "masters" I've asked to do a demo have backed down. Perhaps because it only has a ghost of a chance to work even slightly (a "buzz") on those who already are receptive.