Thread: Rant: chin na and bjj

Threaded View

kenso,
    I think rogue is implying that Karate spread to Japan through Okinawa, but he didn't necessarily imply that Okinawan methods were not influenced by Chinese boxing. When he says, "...Though you could argue that it's Chinese by extension," I think he means that Japanese Karate was influenced by kung fu by way of Okinawa.

"Did you hear about Nogiera 232 pounds beating Bobb Sapp 370 pounds by arm bar yesterday,just goes to show how BJJ can overcome far superior size and strength."

If Kung-Fu or Arnis uses an armbar, does that then show how BJJ can overcome far superior size and strength?

No_Know,
    Not necessarily. The "victory by armbar" detail in that statement could be more of an abridged way of implying that he was using BJJ (by citing a technique found in BJJ). That way the statement doesn't sound too general ("x beat y. Just goes to show..." How did he win? By KO?). It is also easier than saying, "Did you hear about X defeating Y by working on his back from the guard position until an arm was exposed, and then going for a triangle choke, but taking the armbar during Y's triangle defense. Just goes to show..."

The armbar wasn't performed in a vaccuum devoid of any other factors/techniques, and Nogiera is a BJJ practitioner (I think. I don't know him, and I'm making that assumption based on the tone of the quote.). That would mean that Nogiera most likely had to use the skills he learned in BJJ (positioning, leverage, etc.) to set up and ultimately succeed with the armbar.

He wasn't saying "...only BJJ can overcome far superior size and strength." Nor was he implying that the armbar is exclusively a BJJ technique. It was more to point out that BJJ worked in that instance. Also, I know that you weren't trying to imply that that's what was meant by the statement. I just like to type (it would seem ).
    Last edited by Tigerstyle; 08-29-2002 at 01:45 PM.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall