Everybody has seen a "karate movie" in which someone flips out and screams while striking,more experienced know the meaning of this,how it happens and it does in dojo.
Kiai is much appreaciated in arts like karate but is not often spoken about in KF,or do I go all wrong?
Besides breathing out,using kiai (picking this from japanese it can mean "fighting spirit" but is commonly referred to as a "sound" in MA originally said to have used to crush opponentīs confidence and guard)
is believed to strengthen oneīs attack and focus the energies,this is not supported by science but is used anyway and is there for reason.
Here Iīll be showing some examples of what Iīve picked up from the way.:
In white crane there are many sounds,one such sound is "sa" which is a "mean" sound which describes attitude of no-mercy and spirit of killing.
There seem to be various sounds for different attacks which seem to fit to kung-fu category.
Hereīs some hung kuen/gar feeling then;
While striking with a crane beak,one uses the sound "op" meant to focus energy from solar plexus (known as middle dan tien so I just wonder if it has something to do with that...) and lead it to hands.
For tiger claw there is "fu" when using single tiger claw strike somehow drawing power from abdomen/dan tien to hand(s) again.

This thread only scratches the surface of this subject and I hope we can make some discussion out of this.
Iīd like to ask if you think vocal sounds should be included and if "oh yeah" should they be included in combat application and do they have value?
Any single input appreciated.