Thread: Mouth Boxing - Is this you?

Threaded View

Mouth Boxing - Is this you?

Guy watching the mat at BJJ school: Hey man, how you doing?

Shaolin Student: Good.

BJJ Guy: What brings you in?

SS: I'm getting my car fixed around the corner, and I wanted to see what you had here.

BJJ: We have a really good school, lots of good people, and excellent instructors. We're open 11am-10pm M-F and 11-2 Sat and Sunday.Have you done any jiu-jitsu?

SS: No I study shaolin(or White Crane or Suk bak Do, etc).

BJJ: Oh?....Cool, do you want to set up an intro lesson to see what we have going on?

SS: No, I'm happy with what I am doing.

BJJ: Come on, you came in for a reason. Your curious to see if BJJ is really as effective as the hype. I've got a few minutes if you want to check it out...run through the basic positions and then roll for ten minutes. Totally friendly.

SS: I don't think you could stand up with me, and I really don't want to hurt you.

BJJ: Hmmm. Don't worry. If I am taking a lot of damage, I'll signal you to stop, and usually we start on the ground to prevent injury anyway, but if you want to start standing with strikes we can. That is the way jiu-jitsu works; you test your partner without actully doing serious damage. Judo players call it randori. We'll just go for a few minutes, but first sign this release and watch our safety video.

SS: I don't think my instructor would approve.

BJJ: Really? Why not?

SS: I've got to go.

BJJ: Take it easy.

Why do most practicing martial artists posture hard, but split when asked to play?
    Last edited by Boulder Student; 10-15-2002 at 03:09 PM.
    One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.