Thread: Buck Sing Choy Lay Fut is different to other branches of Choy Lay Fut.

Threaded View

Blog Entries
    The number of hand forms in CLF is deceptively high because many are composed of the same stances and hand techniques only in different combinations and sequences. As you progress through the forms the combinations and sequences get increasingly complex and difficult.

The form I am learning now( Bagua Sam) is incredibly difficult. The foot work forces some very unnatural transitions and in the words of my Sifu, it is very "co(ky." So the less complicated forms might be more useful in terms of actual fighting but the more advanced forms push your physical limits.

So the question is not that Baksing CLF has less in the way of techniques (all CLF has pretty much the same techs) but they may not have the same level of complexity in their forms.

There are probably benefits and drawbacks to each curriculum.

My thought is that we should try to preserve as much of CLF as we can (ie teach lots of forms) and allow people to select those couple of forms that become their specialty. But if we lose parts of the curriculum then we have no way of getting it back.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 12-03-2002 at 11:24 AM.