I transferred this from Internal. I see there have been some discussions on Shaolin so i am now trying to catch up on reading them. But first i have to take the time to back theym up because it looks like they might roll off the database.
In the maeantime any one have something to say on this?
--------------------------------------
Plastic Squirrel/
"all true shaolin kung fu is (yi jin jing, xi sui jing, ba duan jin)"
------------------------------------------------
Hawk catches Sparrow

CSC(chinese shaolin center) manual.... I live by a CSC studio, its on N. Latah, I practice with the senior students there, and its difrent then what other internal practices as shown me.
------------------------------------------------

So what is true Shaolin Kung Fu? Even the
chinese government says it doesn't know for sure in one of the foreignlang press official books "an ancient form of long fist" is their definition. When they decided the monks could come back from the fields (literally) what was left of memories and books that could really say?
I have a feeling that things coming out of shaolin right now like "shaolin mantis" are being invented. I saw various Shaolin Pai's practising in Luoyang and they seemed to have a distintinctive style. The postures of Shaolin pai seem both beautiful and functional. However, i don't think Shaolin is a comprehensive Pai, it seems such as a foundation for many many other pais, it just doesnt seem so. I would suspect mostly they are re-inventing the pai,maybeto make it that way as perhaps all realy was lost in historical recording? Like that famous all-style painting in Shaolin is beautiful but doesn't prove
too much other than it is a painting and it is less than 100 years old.

Hawkcatchessparrow. ...
I think perhaps your school might have a legitamate claim to using the name Shaolin if it is true that they used the name in the 1800's. and the lineage is true. But you claim derivation from South Shaolin and (i looked at the website) it doesn't look like a representation of many many syles of a comprehensive shaolin as claimed, it almost looks like there is a lack of circular, full-body, high and low as evidenced in the classical styles?.

[This message was edited by stumblefist on 11-05-00 at 08:04 AM.]