Mantis108,

I understand SGF is trying to explore options or variations to the form. When I asked for the "ling", I was asking for what the other person is doing so that I might understand more clearly what SGF was trying to describe. Tainan understood what I meant. All of SGF's descriptions are very one sided. He does not mention how his opponent reacts to each of these techniques which I think is important to understand his technique. I was not asking for his version of the Ling Bung Bo form. Perhaps the word "ling" threw you off. Not "Ling Bung Bo" proper, "ling" as in the "other" side. I don't think SGF is trying to present "Ling Bung Bo". I don't even know if he knows that form. Just trying to get a clearer picture.

SGF,

Yes, movement is not bound by keywords. You can move in a fashion that does not fit any of the keywords. But then are you still doing mantis? Individual movement does not make mantis. Forming your hand into a mantis diew sau does not make something mantis. The keywords define or guide the style. The treasure may be behind the locked doors. But if you do not know how to use the keys, then you may never know how to unlock those doors to get the treasure.

I actually don't put that much emphasis on the keywords. I understand them and accept them for what they are. A guideline of the style. But for us, we are taught the techniques, practice them and their applications and later figure out which keywords they belong to. It sounds to me that some people look at the keywords and try to create or figure out applications for them. Kind of like reverse-engineering. While I think there is some value to that as an exercise, I have enough material to practice that keeps me quite busy as it is.

Good luck with your continued exploration of the style.

YM