i have had some streetfights, and i have never trapped anyone, so i feel trapoping is way overtrained in jkd and wc, i studied wc for over ten years, and i am an instructor.
all of the b.s trapping drills from a high referense point are bogus, everyone of the can be immediately stopped, by the defender doing a crush punch off the initial pak sau. the whole series of traps gets nullified.
trapping has its place to develope attributes, but should not be trained over and over, it was of use against traditional gung fu guys, or other wc guys. i admit a quick lop can off balance someone, or a good pak, can be an entry, but to make a million trapping drills is useless, wc strategy is not to chase the hands, or immobilize them, the core strategy is to hit, and if a barrier presents itself, get around it, and hit again.
you will never do a pak./da lop/da gum/da in a fight, nor will you do a pak/da pak/da/pak/da etc

there is little power in many of the techniques you see many guys practice, and the opponent is always standing in front of you, because its alwasy another jkd or wc guy trying to defend the techniques

in sparring, it can work, because the other guy trains in martial arts also, and probably in the same art. try to trap a good kyokoshinkai guy,or a thai boxer, or boxer,etc.

again, a good pak can work, but im talking about the 2,3,4 traps sequence, etc, and ending with a guys arms crossed, THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
also, most arts attack and strike simultaneously, not just wc or jkd, that is the biggest lie i have seen stated by wc guys. i train xing i also, they attack and strike, mantis does this, good karate does thia, everyone does,etc.

trapping is a tool in wc, like a speed bag is a tool in boxing, it dvelops a skill, but you most likely will not use that skill in its trained format in a fight

there usually is no reason to trap, like you dont look for a disarm, you dont look for a trap.if you feel a barrier, and your good, you can roll off it or around it, and hit.