I just enlisted in the Army, and I would like to max, or get as close as possible to maxing, the Army Physical Fitness Test, prior to leaving for basic training in 3 months. In order to max the test, I need to complete 77 push-ups and 82 sit-ups in 2 minutes each, as well as a 2-mile run in 13:18. I have a regimen for running, but I would be grateful for some advise on upping my push-ups and sit-ups. Currently I can do about 30 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in the allotted time. I’ve heard a lot about Pavel’s training methods, and I’ve read PTP. I am wondering what people think about using Pavel’s methods of high resistance, low repetitions (3 sets of 5 reps at 80-90% of my 1 rep max, for instance) vs. just doing what the Army recommends, which would be doing sets of 20-30 pushups and 50-100 reps of sit-ups. From everything I have read on this forum and in Pavel’s books, it sounds like the way to maximize strength is the high-resistance, low rep route. However, I need to train for this test as my performance on it will directly effect my ability to go on to advanced training. So basically, my question is, if I go the high-resistance, low-rep route, will this increase the number of push-ups and sit-ups I can do as well or better than just doing a lot of push-ups and sit-ups?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help. If you have any related advice for me, I would welcome that as well!