Originally posted by old jong
I can tell you that my students who are making the best progress are the ones who practice the more and talk the less.
They most of the times take more advantages of the questions asked by the more talking ones.

but isn't the truely intelligent student the one who realizes that only through hard work and perserverence will their kung fu improve?

i don't think intelligence has to equal too much thinking and/or talking. i find the quiet and centered people are usually more intelligent then the outspoken and mind-wandering people.

being quiet and centered also usually leads to stronger and better effort. those who are easily distracted usually glide away from good practice because of their distractions. the importance of standing in SLT and having some patience shows itself again

there's an odd phenomenon in our kwoon in that the people who come and show the most enthusiasm, and love WC so very very much usually never stay too long. mabye because it's because they'd rather talk about WC and how much they love it instead of actually doing it?

another large blockade to success in WC (and life in general) is that people assume that to achieve some point of success it will require X effort. in reality it requires Y effort (which is always greater than X). after putting forth X effort and not having the expected result, they get fed up and quit; instead of perservering and putting forth Y effort and actually obtaining that success.