Thread: Serious question about punching form (pics)

Threaded View

Serious question about punching form (pics)

I've wondered this for years and years, so finally I took pictures of myself demonstrating it and now maybe I can get a definitive answer.

Everyone pretty much says that you're supposed to punch with your wrist and forearm in a straight line, as in example 1 below.

Everyone pretty much agrees that a bent wrist, as in example 2, is bad, weak form. But yet Wing Chun people ALWAYS demonstrate punches like this. This is how my wrist and forearm are when I punch my dummy, and also if I'm doing a Wing Chun straight punch in the air or against a person.

Example 3 shows that it's necessary to angle your fist with your wrist bent (as in example 2) in order to hit someone in front of you with a Wing Chun punch. If you punch them with a straight wrist and forearm (as in example 1), you'll hit them at an angle and it won't be a solid connection.

So, is it bad and weak to punch like that? Cuz WC people do it all the time. I think even Yip Chun or someone demonstrated it in a book once and I remember thinking "well if he does it that way it must be right."

And yes, I blocked out my face.

Thanks.
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-28-2003 at 01:54 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.