Thread: Attention Boston area people

Threaded View

Attention Boston area people

Every Sat morning, myself and a couple others (hopefully more and more) are getting together and sparring with weapons. Wearing protective gear of course, and the main purpose is to compare "styles". I personally study mostly european sword fighting and the other 2 guys so far study Japanese. It's a definite learning experience fighting someone from a completely different style. I'm used to having my blade met mid swing, instead of hitting nothing. The other 2 guys had no idea how to deal with my shield. It's a great learning experience and you clearly see the pros/cons of each style. I tried doing rapier fencing vs their kendo, but they have a huge advantage with the 2 hand grip. A rapier can't really take the hit from a bokken/shinai. Still gonna keep trying. I might throw in a 2nd shorter sword with the rapier. It's just hard fighting a cutting sword with a thrusting one.

But anyways, if anyone else is interested, please feel free to join in. Basic protection gear to bring is helmet, cup, gloves. No "live" blades being used. Well, except rapiers, but they are dull and tipped with rubber.

So far, its 1 guy doing just kendo. another guy doing some kendo and chinese stuff. I do fencing, iaido and british/germanic swordmanship.
    We meet at the "half-shell" on the charles river. Sat mornings, usually 9am. can email me if you want in: inicolaas@yahoo.com
    Last edited by inic; 06-21-2004 at 06:24 PM.