In my opinion it seems more realistic to train with a weapon you might be forced to use one day. Almost all styles have some "practical weapons" that are of a real value in mastering in todays society. By this I do not mean the sword or any type or polearm. There isn't one place in the "developed world" where you can carry one of these items in public.

Better in my opinion would be a staff of some type. Simply, you train differently with a stick than with a sword. Saying to yourself, "I train with the sword, therefore if I have to I can apply my skills with a stick if pressed" is true to a degree, but then why not train with a stick?

There is also a host of "other" weapons that are just as practical in our society. Weapons like knives, chain whips, clubs(hard whips), throwing knives/stars, ropes etc.. You can actually carry these in public un-noticed and your prepared.

Why spend your life mastering a weapon just for cultural exploration/enlightenment(nothing wrong with this if you have another more practical weapon you train in also) ****JUST MY OPINION****

Also, you ever notice that you can train in a sword, polarm etc...for so called martial art reasons (tournaments etc...) and not many people look at you funny, but when you start training in practical weapons for actual reality based reasons and start carring these weapons for defense, even some martial artist look at you funny. It's like your getting to serious for them.

Hopefully this will start a cool thread