I’m sure some will surly disagree and some will agree but this is just a thought about resistance during our training.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this answer before but I actually had a dream about it last night and wanted to put this down. Then I saw –N- hit apon it in another thread.

The reason we don’t train with full on resistance with an individual tactic is because we are trained to be sensitive to our opponents actions. If we are applying a tactic and the opponent resists in any way, be it by pulling, pushing, etc, we use that energy to feed another tactic. We don’t try to force the original tactic if the opponent is aware of what you’re doing. (hence set ups and fakes in mantis) You use the training to fine tune that tactic, then apply the tactic during sparring or sticky hand sessions when applicable. When working with the drills, if I’m fed any type of energy that would alter the tactic I’m training, I point out how I would do something different and show why. What this seems to do is individualize each tactic in training rather than generalizing movements together. It also starts to teach you that you aren’t dedicated to one tactic, you start to see other things open up when you are resisted in any way. You flow with what you are fed and are feeding the opponent.

Each drill has a reason for being drilled. Each one is a building block in the training giving you different abilities along the way. It may take a little longer than say a MMAst way of training. But it’s a different animal. Forms, individual tactics, individual tactics 2 man, sticky hand and feet drills, sparring, etc. All of these things have a reason and are building from the foundation up. Some training doesn’t call for 100% resistance, some training does.

As for the deadly tactic argument, a punch can be deadly and you can practice a punch at all levels of resistance. Just because I practice at med power doesn’t mean that when I hit someone just right full force they aren’t going to go down for the count. Same with locks and breaks. Arm bars and locks hurt even if you don’t break the opponents limb you are causing harm and doing what is intended, even if you want to break the limb and don't. Every time you punch someone your intention is to hurt them, knock them out, break a bone or whatever. But it doesn’t always happen with one punch or four for that matter. So you keep going till it’s over, does that mean that I can’t train punching anymore because I didn’t knock him out with one punch? No it doesn’t, there is a time and a place for certain training. Just because you can’t train a certain tactic at 100%, doesn’t mean you won’t be able to apply it when the opportunity arises.