Ernie and James,

If you have developed this power then that's great. I, obviously, haven't met every WCK guy in the world, but have met many very experienced people from most YM lineages... and haven't seen it yet.

The hardest hitting of them was Maday Norbert (WingTsun) here in Hungary... but he's a big guy and could no doubt hit very hard with any punch from any system.

Maybe I've been exposed to lots of Wing Chunners but just not the right ones... but it at least shows (to me) that those I've come across (and I've met hundreds throughout Europe) don't have the power I've seen elsewhere. (generating power from contact, for example. No inch power - Bruce Lee was low level with his three inch punches... heheheehe )

Does anyone have footage of this: Wing Chun knockdown power from zero distance?

I still mix it up with Wing Chunners and learn lots from it. The art is nice... just not for me I guess.

But talking of methods and tools, power and usability, I know a WT living here in Europe who has recently switched to what he called "Shaolin Wing Chun". He's been very quiet on the details (he's taught privately) but it interested me. He's trained for 10 years or so and trains like a fanatic... he had his arse handed to him by someone who trains in this system twice a week and has been doing so for 2 years.

My friend said its Wing Chun to the eye, but the power development is very different, the core elements different, and the training methods very different. What convinced him to switch was not only this, but the fact that the guy who whooped him wasn't some fighting genius, just an average student of their master.

WCK's a funny art... the more I talk with friends and practitioners about it... the more confused I become.