Greetings..

From another forum comes the following post:

"As one observes the Taiji symbol, one could see how the doctrine of Yin and Yang would dictate that if an opponent is Yang the other should be Yin. If they are both Yin, there would be no fight. If they are both Yang the victory will go to the larger, stronger, faster opponent. If size, speed and strength are the only martial skills that should be developed, how is it that the old Taiji Master can subdue the much younger, stronger opponent?

As to attempting to unbalance you (a subject near and dear to my heart!); If you are solidly grounded and rigid (yang), you can be uprooted and pushed over using only four ounces. It is only when you are solidly grounded and soft (yin) that I can not move you, even WITH force.

It seems that developing the Yin abilities like sensitivity, intuition, (stickiness?), soft power, and responsiveness are what gave the old Masters their near-mystical skills. But without the confidence that these abilities work, we tend not to develop them to the point that they are there for us when we need them."

This post is preceded by a request for quotes from the classics or Masters that advocate the use of "hardness" in Taiji..

My response was as follows:

"Agreed, whole-heartedly.. but, again, i assert the balance.. i have yet to feel the "magical" quality so often referenced.. i have felt remarkably trained "force", "timing" and "sensitivity".. but, the "four ounce" parable exists only within constrained limits.. Master Wong moved me with impecable timing AND applied force, and it was not soft force.. it was applied precisely and with tangible intent..

I have no doubt that superior training and "confidence" will yield similar results to those mentioned.. but, i urge anyone to develop equal "confidence" in more conventional martial skills if their intent is to develop a complete self-defense system.. remember, the opponent has their own intentions, often supplemented by rage (rage is a decisive variable in many conflicts).. it is one thing to feel the power of your developed and cultivated practice in a controled setting, quite another "in the streets".. see the link below to understand my meaning..

http://www.personalprote ctionsystems.ca/multimedia.htm

Let me state that i fully believe that developed Taiji arts are devastatingly effective.. i simply don't believe we have the training methodology to take it to that level.. the "old Masters" lived and fought "in the streets", it had to work for them.. we don't have that level of training, we don't test our arts "in the streets".. i suggest that 50% of the time the training we ARE "capable of" will serve us well.. but, i also suggest that we must be prepared for the other 50% as well.. Confidence will get you there, over-confidence will push it past its capabilities.."

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Be well...