Thread: What makes a style complete?

Threaded View

My opinion on this is similar to MP's.

It should address the following.

Striking, both hands and feet, with strategies for the different ranges (from outside kicking range to clinch range).
    Stand-up grappling, including takedowns and throws and defending against them.
    Groundfighting.

I don't think any one art can be completely proficient at all of these. I think each art 'specializes' in one of the above, maybe even two. But IMO it's not complete if it doesn't at least address all of these.

To me it can still be complete even if it is lacking in one area because a fighter in a certain art should be trying to force somebody else to do battle in their preferred range. For example, I'm a 7* mantis guy. We work predominantly on striking and standing throws. But we also do some work on the standing clinch, and have recently incorporated some groundwork into the mix.

Am I going to be an excellent groundfighter? No, but if I fight a BJJ stylist my goal is going to be to stuff his takedowns as much as possible, and when taken down search for an opening to get back on my feet.
    Last edited by Reggie1; 04-27-2005 at 09:39 AM.