Quote Originally Posted by sihing
I agree...Lawerence is mistaken if he thinks ALL Wing Chun Masters and Sifu's are training like it was in the 60's, lol. But writing on this forum does nothing to prove otherwise so why waste the time...

James
What are some of the major improvements and refinements made to WC training methodologies made since GM Yip Man taught guys like Wong, Cheung, and Lee?

I am not trying to be cynical. I am asking sincerely. (I just don't think there is anywhere near the kind of innovation that is going on in MMA.)

I am originally from a WT background and thus having a bit more exposure to that lineage than to others, I'll offer a couple of possible examples....... Sifu Emin's anti-grappling program might fall into that category, and possibly Sifu K's "Blitzdefense" (although to me it seems to mostly be a repackaging of Geoff Thompson stuff using WT terminology, it is still an attempt at updating and making the art more practical.)

What might be some other examples?

A catch-22 here is that to some traditionalists, any improvements or changes designed to increase the level of performance are often viewed as "style-mixing" or "watering down", and that if one really knew the true secrets of wing chun , none of that "other stuff" would be necessary. -That is what I feel is most unfortunate........

-Lawrence