Hi Guys!

I've still been thinking and considering my approach to WCK since my previous post. I initially was thinking along these lines: since when you see people sparring with their WCK they seem to almost always resort to a quasi-boxing structure, then why not train WCK with a boxing structural biomechanic or power base?

I've found a better approach...at least for me. I had purchased Alan Orr's series of videos called "Body Structure Sparring" awhile back. I had already watched them a couple of times and picked up some good points. But my overall impression at the time was that it looked too much like boxing (again...the problem with use boxing gloves....everything starts to look like boxing). I also initially thought that his structure was a little sloppy because he didn't keep a good "kim sut" position and seemed to be unconcerned about his foot positioning.

Well...those impressions have changed. I have really been working on using the kua probably for power generation and movement. Some of you may remember my posts in the past on the threads about "short power." So I have recently watched Alan Orr's videos again from a new perspective and am seeing things with new eyes. These tapes don't show forms....or chi sau....or rote drills. They show how to move from the kua, keep good forward pressure, punch with power, and work well at close range (closer than rolling hands range). He shows a very natural way of moving that flows well and does not worry about whether the front foot is angled just so, etc.......

So the better approach, at least for me?....... Not putting WCK hands on a boxing structure or power base.....rather adjusting my WCK structure or power base to work more like the boxing power base works. And these tapes are the ticket! They initially looked like boxing to me because Alan Orr is accomplishing the same things that boxers are good at......hitting hard, hitting rapidly from multiple angles (not just chain punching), keeping a mobile base that allows for smooth footwork in and out when adjusting distance, and totally dominating the opponent's balance to break structure.

I have researched and practiced the older form of western bare-knuckle boxing in the past. What strikes me is that the WCK that Alan Orr is showing on these tapes is closer to the old bare-knuckle boxing style than modern-day boxing is!

Now many of you may be saying...."duh! He's just doing WCK! We're doing everything you just mentioned!" Maybe. But I don't think so. If that was true, when the typical WCK person was sparring, they wouldn't have to resort to that quasi-boxing structure that you see so often.

Now I am not connected with Alan Orr in any way. I've never met him. I just wanted to share my impressions.

Keith