Hi Shirkers

I dont think that ground fighting is that new of a concept. In fact if we do some research it probably predates mantis.

I think a mantis guy could do well in that type of fighting. I do think he would have to alter the way it is done traditionally. Which is one thing that I believe the mantis has going for it. From what I have been taught the mantis does not have to be done in the exact same way each time you use a technique. So it is a perfect style to adapt. I think that is more important in the real situation then sitting around talking about jing and where the power comes from. If you are learning a fighting style you should be able to strike with some power and effectivness.

The founder of mantis (wong lang ) who ever that may be, obsorbed and adapted techniques form other styles to make his/their system work. It is still happening today. This is another reason I think a mantis practitioner could do well.

Mighty B

Yep, san shou is the only fighting we do in our school besides the normal two person sets and drills.

But dont get me wrong. I am not saying my school is known for great fighters or that I am an authority on this type of fighting. I just think it is better and have less injuries to students than with the light contact.

We do some of what people call cotuinuous light contact sparring. But I call it by what it really is. Tag. I let them tag to shoulders, chest center line, and legs. It helps with blocking as some coordination and timing. The guys who used to hurt people in the light contact wont do the san shou. Imagine that.

Oso

Just read your post, seems we think the same way