I would have to agree that a teacher is indispensable, especially in the first few years. Some would argue that there are, for example, scholars who learned their fields exclusively from books, but rarely are these in the fields of physical sciences, such as the martial arts.

More to the point, before launching on their independent studies they usually had teachers who taught them to read, to spell, as well as such things as philosophy and history. With these firm foundations and the advantages of personal correction they later launched on their independent studies with a greater ability to appreciate the work of others without the same direct contact they needed as early students.

The same is necessary of a martial artist, and the less experienced you are the more you need the personal correction of a live teacher who can focus in on your specific weak points.

However I think it would be wise to remember the old chinese proverb "If I rely only on teachers, better I be without teachers. If I rely only on books, better I be without books." In these days that saying could probably be expanded to include "If I rely only on videos, better I be without videos".

Neil Alexander
New York City